PQDownloader broken

geocaching.com changed their webdesign on 4th of May.  Unfortunately my PQDownloader is not working anymore and I don’t think I’ll be able to fix it. The good news is, that they announced today, that the API for 3rd party applications is almost finished:

So, PQDownloader won’t be needed anymore anyway.

Development stopped

This is a repost of a post, that I published on the old website on 5th of November 2010, when version 4.0.0 was released:

If you have read the release notes carefully, you probably have found the following paragraph:

This is the last major release of this software. That means, that no new features will be implemented and from now on only bugfixes and GSAK compatibility fixes are provided.

I started to develop this software more than 5 years ago and released 23 new versions since version 2.0.0, which was released on 05th of February 2006. One major step was the support for GSAK databases with version 3.0.0 and as far as I know, this is still a unique feature for mobile geocaching applications, not only for Windows Mobile, but also for all other platforms, like Symbian, Blackberry OS, iOS, Android or the brand new Windows Phone 7.

Most of the time I had great fun to develop it. But then Microsoft announced, that Windows Phone 7 will not support „old“ Windows Mobile software and so declared WM to be a dying platform. That was basically the main reason, why I’ll stop to invest more time into development. Furthermore I expect, that the number of Windows Mobile users will fall rapidly within the next month. The second reason is, that also things in my personal life have changed.

Still the good news for all users are, that I’ll keep up the support, unless I find another mobile geocaching software, that fits my needs as perfect as my own software. 😉

As mentioned in my previous post, I don’t know, if I will port my Geocaching Tools to WP7. At the moment I really feel very tired…

I want to thank all of you for the the good ideas and bug reports. 🙂